LEOFF Plan 2 Disability Benefits

If you are a Law Enforcement Officers’ and Fire Fighters’ Retirement System (LEOFF) Plan 2 member and you become disabled, you might be entitled to a disability benefit. This publication describes disability retirement benefits and how to apply for them. The Department of Retirement Systems (DRS) recommends you contact a Retirement Specialist if you plan to apply for a LEOFF disability retirement.

Am I eligible for a disability retirement benefit?

If you are totally incapacitated for continued employment with your LEOFF employer and you leave that employment as a result of your disability, you might be eligible for a disability retirement benefit.

You do not need a minimum amount of service credit to be eligible for a disability benefit.

You must file an application with DRS before you can qualify for a disability benefit. DRS will determine whether you are capable of carrying out the duties of the job you performed at the time of the disability or any other LEOFF-eligible employment you are qualified to perform. DRS will also determine whether your disability occurred in the line of duty. You are responsible for scheduling and paying for independent medical examinations to prove you qualify for disability retirement.

Each benefit has its own eligibility requirements. The four types of disability benefits are:

  • Temporary duty disability
  • Non-duty disability
  • Duty disability
  • Catastrophic duty disability

File a claim

You can file an accident report for a workplace injury or exposure at your doctor’s office,  or by calling Labor & Industries (L&I) during business hours at 1-877-561-3453. If you complete the accident report at your doctor’s office, the doctor files the form for you.

FileFast: Report of Accident (ROA)
Choose the online filing option that’s right for you:

Injured Worker
File your workers’ compensation claim.
Watch this video to learn about the benefits of filing online
Injured? What you need to know.

Note: If the employer is self-insured, file claims or bill directly to them. See the self-insured employer’s list.
Need help? Contact Labor and Industries by phone or email.
Note: If the employer is self-insured, file claims or bill directly to them. See the self-insured employer’s list.

For state fund claims (not self-insured):

  • Workers’ Compensation Claim
  • Check Claim Status: View Claim Info Online
  • Benefits & Payments
  • Filing a Claim
  • Find a Doctor

Important! If you work for a self-insured employer, you will obtain and file the accident report with your employer. Contact your personnel department for help. Your rights and benefit entitlement don’t change, but your employer, not L&I, handles your paperwork and pays for the claim.

Need help?

Project Help assists people throughout Washington State, providing assistance with the workers’ compensation claim process, from the initial filing of a claim to claim closure. This includes self-insured and state fund claims; help is offered and open to all.

The Office of the Ombuds for Injured Workers of Self-Insured Employers advocates for the rights of injured workers of self-insured companies who need help maneuvering through the workers’ compensation process.

Although physically located at the Washington State Department of Labor & Industries (L&I), the ombuds is appointed by the Governor and serves as an independent agent and advocate for self-insured workers.

Contact: Donna Egeland, 253-596-3840
Office of the Ombuds for Injured Workers of Self-Insured Employers